Having a swimming pool in your home can be one of the most aesthetically pleasing features. With just a little creative input, research and expert advice, you can create a marvellous outdoor feature in the comfort of your home.
Once you’re done deciding the pool’s depth and shape, the next step is to design and make it as appealing as possible. To make this happen, it’s important to decide the kind of tiles that will be the best for your swimming pool. Tiles being one of the main features of a pool can really enhance its overall appearance.
When looking for tiles to install in the swimming pool, it is crucial to go for the finest one. This is to ensure that they will last for a long time while reducing the maintenance costs.
There are many things which you have to look after while choosing tiles for your swimming pool and below we have mentioned some essential tips to help you select the best tiling options.
- Cost: We all know that buying pool tiles would cost us money so preparing a budget that is economical is necessary. To get an overview of the price, you can compare prices from different suppliers, but this comparison should be done before narrowing down the list of sellers.
Knowing your budget will influence the design and materials used for your pool tiles. For example, a tiled floor embellished with a design or image will be more expensive as compared to plain coloured tiles.
- Safety: Safety should be your first priority when choosing pool tiles. It is important to buy tiles that offer firm footing with a grip that won’t slip. As we all know, swimming pool area is always wet and one can easily slide and fall.
So, it’s a good idea to consult an expert because problems can get out of hand quickly. For the area outside the pool, it is necessary to choose tiles that are slip-resistant whereas for the area inside your pool, most tiles will work fine.
- Design: There is a variety of tile designs available to choose from for a swimming pool. So, decide whether you want something plain or one with a design, or perhaps a combination of both.
To know about design and patterns, you can take a look at various magazines that feature outdoor living and pool ideas and come up with a decision as to which look and design would best suit your pool and your needs.
- Colour: The colour of your pool tiles is a personal choice and there are a few guidelines that can help you choose the best colour.
Installing light coloured tiles in your pool will give away a light bluish hue, whereas choosing dark coloured tiles will create a mirrored, moody effect. Also dark tiles are quite captivating, so they tend to change the whole atmosphere of your outdoor area.
- Choose One With Warranty: Customers always buy products that have a warranty then why not do the same when it comes to purchasing tiles? Warranty allows you to receive regular maintenance at the expense of the producer. It will help in reducing the cost of maintenance that can be too much for your budget.
It would be very expensive if you keep changing tiles from time to time. So, to avoid this, it is advisable to get pool tiles that have a lifetime guarantee against damage.
- Cleaning: Before making any decision, make sure that the tiles are easy to clean and maintain. Find out which chemicals or cleaners are needed to keep the tiles sparkly clean and attractive.
Tile cleaning is a necessary factor to keep in mind if you’re planning to install a swimming pool in your home. You can also take advice from a pool contractor on the necessary products and how to use them.
- Maintenance: The type of tile you choose for your pool can have a huge impact on its maintenance. As mentioned above, choosing a tile with lifetime warranty will help you in reducing the maintenance costs.
So, make sure you ask about cleaning before installing the tile. As there is water in the pool most of the times, the tiles can quickly build up scum and will require an abrasive cleaner.
Ask about the maintenance the tile needs and make sure you’re up to the task. Also bear in mind that pool tiles should be able to withstand direct sunlight and high heat without becoming damaged or too hot for you to walk on.
- Size: This is one of the most important aspects that you should take into consideration while choosing pool tiles. Knowing the measurement of the pool will help in buying the right number of sets that will be able to cover the floor of the pool. You can even seek assistance from tile specialists to get the exact measurement of your pool.
Types Of Tiles You Can Choose From
The best thing about tiles is that it’s easy to mix and match. There are a variety of options available when it comes to choosing the perfect tiles for your pool. Take a look at the best tiles that you can use for your swimming pool.
- Porcelain: It is easy to install and can withstand the elements fairly well and it’s the best choice for pools where children are going to be splashing around. However, it can easily break if a blunt force is applied.
- Mosaic: These tiles can easily add colour to your pool. Though it is a bit more expensive and difficult to clean than other types of tiles, it can be made of any material.
- Glass: These tiles are mostly used for the bottom of a pool, as it makes it the pool look deeper and broader. However, it takes more time to install them when compared to others, but it isn’t particularly difficult.
- Natural Stone: It is one of the most common swimming pool tiles as it is durable and rugged. Natural stone tiles can last for decades without much wear and tear. But these tiles have to be sealed after every few years to prevent absorption of pool water.
- Brick: This type of tile is often installed around the edges of a pool to provide traction and grip for swimmers. Brick is porous, so be sure to use a sealed one to prevent water damage. Also, it has to be resealed every few years.
If you’re planning to have a swimming pool at your home then you can consider these tips to help you out with the installation process.